Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Jackson turns 1 & other fun facts...

Jackson turned 1 yesterday, the 3rd of March 2008. We celebrated his birthday on Saturday with family & friends out at the Farm. Jackson got to dig in to his own birthday cake, which was a Strawberry Country Cake (A Barefoot Contessa recipe). It was 2 layers of cake, with a layer of whipped cream and strawberries in the middle and on top. He loves strawberry's and with it being strawberry season in FLA I decided to let him have one of his favorites. Here are a few pictures of him digging in. (More pictures to follow).





Also, we had Jackson's 1 year check up w. Dr. Michelle yesterday. Jackson is 25 lbs and 33" tall. He has 10 teeth & is speed walking everywhere. He's sleeping in his very own toddler bed, has been for the past few weeks and as of last night we decided, with the encouragement of Dr. Michelle to allow him to fall asleep on his own for naps & bedtime. Something that Jerrod & I have been slowly working towards over the past few weeks.

He's not a happy camper about "self-soothing" at all. However, he is 1, he is now in the stage of Autonomy V Shame & Doubt (Erikson) and he's doing so many other things on his own, plus Dr. Michelle said that now is the best time to do it. We, Jerrod & I, both agreed. Last night was one of THE hardest nights of sleep in our house, 1 I am sick with the flu, and 2, the first time he woke up the cry lasted almost an hour. This was an opportunity for me to truly rely on the power of prayer and God's love, not just for me, but for Jerrod & of course, Jackson. I can say this without hesitation, I can now understand on the tiniest of tiniest levels what I must have been like for God to allow his son to suffer so much for us (make no mistake about it, I am SO not comparing 1 night of self soothing to what our Lord and Savior did for us, just noting what it's like to be a parent).

These next 3 pictures of are Jackson taking a stroll in the yard one day 2 weeks ago. The weather was chilly (yes, it does get chilly in FLA!) and we went out to enjoy it. He LOVES being in the yard, digging around, finding pecans, sticks, you-name-it.


I'm trapped & I can't get out!!! Who put my baby crib outside?

Here's a few of Jackson swinging.. another favorite thing to do in the yard... He enjoys waving to all the cars that drive by the house too. Please note the stick... his favorite book is The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats. In this story there's a page or two about a stick - "a stick that was just right for smacking a snow covered tree"... well we don't have any snow covered trees here, but we've got plenty of sticks. I'll blog later with an omage to sticks & Jackson.


2 comments:

melanie said...

Happy Birthday Jackson! I am so impressed with the toddler bed already. That is great. And we do a "self soothing" thing too and its just pure torture. Even more so now that we are all in such close quarters in this little apt.
But it does work! I have to do a lot of praying too.

sonyagraykey said...

I can't believe he's ONE!! (and almost as big as my 3-year-old. :) Good for you about the "big boy bed." I am still waddling in & out of bed with L. at night. I plan on doing a few things differently with baby girl.:) And! I can relate to the emotions of torture hearing your little one scream. I don't think I could ever do that again. L. lost his voice a few times when we were "sleep training." (6 months - 1 year old before I gave up on the kid.) Parents should understand something of the love (bittersweet at times) of God while raising children, I think. Those are the parents who discipline for a reason and love without limits.